The Design Observer has reprinted an article by Michael McDonough, called “The Top 10 Things They Never Taught Me in Design School“. Michael goes in to some uncomfortable truths surrounding design work, clears up myths and misconceptions and gives some rock solid, slam-hard advice.
He produces valuable insight for each of the following points:
- Talent is one-third of the success equation.
- 95 percent of any creative profession is shit work.
- If everything is equally important, then nothing is very important.
- Don’t over-think a problem.
- Start with what you know; then remove the unknowns.
- Don’t forget your goal.
- When you throw your weight around, you usually fall off balance.
- The road to hell is paved with good intentions;
or, no good deed goes unpunished.
- It all comes down to output.
- The rest of the world counts.
Read it. Seriously.